Goto your account
Search Stories by: 
and/or
 

News

Articles from RINGS - GENERAL (689 Articles), BRACELETS (371 Articles)












Police allege those accused “wore disguises and distracted victims while other syndicate members stole their property”
Police allege those accused “wore disguises and distracted victims while other syndicate members stole their property”

More charges for alleged jewellery crime ring

Additional charges have been laid against the men arrested in relation to an alleged international crime syndicate targeting Sydney jewellery ‘dealers’.

According to a NSW Police Force statement, four men – aged 23, 30, 43 and 53 – were charged with shoplifting, larceny and making a false statement to an officer, purpose of Migration Act. The men are believed to be from Chile.

It was alleged the charges involved the theft of jewellery valued at more than $500,000.

In addition, a 34-year-old man was charged with two counts of theft and making a false statement to an officer as per the Migration Act.

A 39-year-old male was also charged with making a false statement to an officer, purpose of Migration Act.

Past charges

The latest charges against the four men from Chile come after they were arrested in September.

As previously reported by Jeweller, they allegedly entered Australia on tourist or student visas and “wore disguises and distracted victims while other syndicate members stole their property”.

The police statement added that a strike force division was investigating more than 18 incidents mainly targeting jewellery ‘dealers’ and members of the public making withdrawals at financial institutions in August and September this year.

It is believed that one incident took place during the Sydney International Jewellery Fair and involved the attempted theft of Thomas Sabo jewellery valued at $10,000.

Plea update

A NSW Department of Justice spokesperson told Jeweller in September that the four men pled not guilty; however, a report by The Australian stated that three of the four have changed their plea to guilty.

The fourth was said to maintain his innocence.

Jeweller contacted the NSW Department of Justice regarding the pleas but had not received a response at the time of publication.

All six men appeared at Sydney Central Local Court on 5 October and were refused bail. They will re-appear at court in November.

The NSW police statement added that investigations were ongoing and that further arrests in relation to the alleged crime syndicate were expected.

More reading
Alleged international crime syndicate targets jewellers
Police raid Perth store full of ‘stolen’ jewellery
Jeweller caught trading $2 million of stolen goods
Police crack fake jewellery outfit
 




















Sunday, 19 November, 2017 09:19pm
login to my account
Username: Password:
standard_0317
advertisement
standard_0317
advertisement
(c) 2017 Gunnamatta Media